Pope’s Grotto is the last remaining part of the famous villa and gardens belonging to the poet, translator and satirist Alexander Pope, built in 1720 on the banks of the Thames at Twickenham.
The grotto is of outstanding historical importance, the only surviving relic of Pope’s life. It acts as a material reminder of English culture, literature and garden design of the Age of Enlightenment. It has recently been restored and reinvigorated, largely thanks to the work of the Pope’s Grotto Preservation Trust, with support from English Heritage and the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Its restoration is helping to inspire Pope scholars and to reintroduce Alexander Pope and his work, including the advocacy of his naturalistic garden, to a new audience at the school, in the local area and in the wider world.